Jobs at Metro Theatre
Job Title: General Manager
Job start date: 5/29/2023
Submission Deadline: 5/05/2023
Submission Email: email@example.com
Salary / Compensation: $45,000 to $50,000 depending on experience
Contact name: Shel Piercy Phone: 604-505-3616
Company website: https://metrotheatre.com/
Ethnocultural mandate or casting statement:
Metro Theatre is actively seeking to dismantle inequity in the theatre sector, and to furthering principles of access, inclusion, and equity in our work. We strongly encourage applications from BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and other communities facing systemic marginalization, and welcome members of those communities to self-identify as they feel comfortable.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the General Manager is responsible for the successful management of the organization according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors. Such direction is informed by the policies established by the Board of Directors, and the resources available.
The General Manager works collaboratively with other Metro Theatre staff members and volunteers: including with the Technical Director, the Marketing and Publicity team, the Facilities Manager, the Accountant (regular financial reports for the purposes of internal and external reporting), and other contract workers and consultants, as required.
The General Manager is employed by the Board of Directors and acts as an advocate and representative of Metro Theatre to arts professionals, various stakeholders and the community at large. Evaluation of service and contract negotiation are also conducted by the Board of Directors, through the Board’s General Manager Search Committee.
REQUIRED PERFORMANCE COMPETENCIES
The General Manager must demonstrate the following competencies:
1. An excellent and above average ability to recruit and work with volunteers
2. Team Leadership
3. Interpersonal Communication
4. Teamwork and Collaboration
5. Strategic thinking and planning
Definitions and descriptions of these competencies follow.
The General Manager supervises the following permanent staff:
1. Technical Director
2. Facilities Manager (theatre and scene shop)
4. Box Office Manager
5. External Marketing and Publicity Manager
6. Head of Costumes
7. Head of Props
8. Head of Set Dressing
9. Head Set Painter
10. Head Carpenter
A/ Office and Financial Management
1. Assists in the creation and implementation of Metro Theatre projects
2. Oversees rental operations of the theatre liaising and contracting with renters and potential renters.
3. Prepare annual operating and capital budgets including liaising with department heads to develop annual budget and monitor its progress through the year
4. Set and supervise sales targets and strategies that ensure the financial health of the organization
5. Collaborates with the external marketing representative to develop and implement marketing plan
6. In conjunction with the Technical Director, liaise with show producers confirming their show budget and production team and theatre resources available to them.
7. Maintain appropriate internal controls to safeguard the company’s assets
8. Oversee all aspects of financial management, including cash flow, investments and annual audit
9. Ensure that there are adequate resources for the company to achieve its objectives
10. Stay abreast of all regulatory practices and the best practices in the industry
11. Oversees payroll in tandem with a contract bookkeeper
12. CRA/WCB reporting
13. Other tasks as assigned
B/ Planning and board engagement
1. Prepare short-range and long-range plans for the administrative operation of the company, including work on the Board’s Strategic Plan
2. Act as a resource to the Board of Directors, and committees thereof, as appropriate
3. Submit to the board regular reports and plans for the company’s activities, including budgets and quarterly financial statements. Submit monthly financial statements and compliance report to the Treasurer
C/ Human Resource Management
1. Lead the organization’s human resource programs and policies as they apply to employee relations, compensation, benefits, safety, performance and staffing levels
2. Is responsible for administration and oversight of all hiring, dismissal, supervision and annual evaluation of staff
3. Is responsible for all negotiations and contracts with productions’ rights holders
4. Oversees all contracting of independent artists, consultants, creatives, etc.
5. Act as a mentor to members of the company and promote professional development as a company value
6. Uphold the practices and ideals laid out in the company’s Anti-Oppression & Anti-Harassment Policy, Code of Conduct and Anti-Racism Action Items
D/ Funding and fundraising
1. Stay abreast of government and private sector funding opportunities through research and networking and oversee the development of strategies to cultivate those relationships
2. Create and monitor the annual fundraising operating plan and calendar and the delegation of tasks associated with fulfilling the plan
3. Seek financial support for the company’s activities through the preparation of government and foundation applications
4. Oversee any capital campaigns, including advice to the Board of Directors on effectiveness of the campaign
5. Ensure timely and accurate report delivery to funders
6. Approve all print and digital material related to fundraising in collaboration with marketing and outreach staff
7. Researches and develops additional revenue-generating initiatives
1. Have minimum 2 years’ experience in a relevant field(s)
2. Understanding and awareness of Vancouver’s arts and culture sector
3. Strong organizational skills with the flexibility to be agile and manage multiple priorities
4. Comfortable with technology and strong hands-on working experience with Microsoft Office Applications (Windows and Mac OS), data base systems and QuickBooks
5. Demonstrated experience and success working with community partners, fund development, and theatre patrons
6. Strong written and verbal communication skills
Collaborative and team building
$45,000 – $50,000 to commensurate with experience.
For the purposes of this contract, a year is defined as September 1 to May 31 of each calendar year.
This position begins May 29, 2023
Metro Theatre believes in a richly inclusive working environment and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation pertaining to accessibility at any stage of the application process, please do not hesitate to make a request.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply, please send by email a cover letter and resume with references in a single pdf to:
Chair, Hiring Committee, Metro Theatre
Please use the subject: GM Application.
The application deadline has been extended to Friday May 5, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
To apply, please submit a current resume/CV and cover letter outlining your interest in the position and highlighting relevant experience as applicable to the requirements of the position.
The Board of Directors of Metro Theatre will be moving to fill this position in a proactive manner in preparation for the upcoming 2023-24 season.
Interested parties are welcome to contact the Chair of the Hiring Committee, Shel Piercy at firstname.lastname@example.org with pertinent inquiries prior to submitting an application.
For 60 plus years and well over 500 show productions, Metro has delivered live shows successfully. Those happy combinations of, script, director, actors and theatre personnel to the joy of audiences. Always seeking support, for the growth of live theatre, by those who make the live experience work, is at the heart of that heritage. Metro is a place where there is a brighter and more exciting future for those who have the spark. A place where theatre folks can work side by side with competent colleagues and professionals, as we all learn by doing.
Whether you are a retired professional, an amateur for life who has a career path other than a completely professional stage career, or new to live theatre, finding your way, here is the opportunity to let us know you are interested in participating.