We are thrilled to reveal an exciting line up of entertaining plays for 2017 – 2018. As we enter our 55th continuous SEASON of great entertainment, Metro Theatre is very proud to support actors and productions that add vibrant culture to our community. Plan to bring theatre into your life and experience the joy and power of live performance.
HILDA’S YARD by Norm Foster
- September 16 – October 7, 2017 Thursday to Saturday
- Matinees on Sunday September 24 & October 1
Metro kicks off the season with a Canadian play in honour of Canada’s 150th birthday. Set in 1956, a couple in their 50’s (Hilda and her husband) eagerly await the arrival of their first black & white television set! They look forward to evenings with “Ozzie and Harriet”, but instead they get their two adult children returning home. So much for the empty nest! Laughs abound in this warm, family comedy.
CALENDAR GIRLS by Tim Firth
- October 28 – November 18, 2017 Thursday to Saturday
- Matinees on Sunday November 5 & November 12
The famous story of a group of women from Yorkshire that decide to pose nude on a calendar to raise money for a new sofa in their local hospital waiting room. The calendar succeeds beyond their wildest dreams (and gains international recognition) but has unforeseen repercussions in their marriages and friendships. A play full of dignity and hope in the face of tragedy and one that has become the fastest-selling play in British theatre history.
MURDER BY THE BOOK by Duncan Greenwood & Robert King
- January 20 – February 10, 2018 Thursday to Saturday
- Matinees on Sunday January 28 & February 4
Crisp, witty, exchanges of dialogue fill this inventive Britsh thriller. A writer’s wife wants to divorce him, but he has no intention of doing so. Full of exciting twists and turns as each character, writer, wife, publisher, secretary and neighbour turn the tables on each other. Who are the victims and who are the killers? This is a plot that will keep you guessing until the very end.
SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER adapted by Joan Bryans
- February 24 – March 17, 2018 Thursday to Saturday
- Matinees on Sunday March 4 & March 11
By author Oliver Goldsmith this beloved comedy about love and mistaken identity revolves around Charles Marlow, a young bachelor who brims with confidence when dallying with working-class women but becomes a shivering bundle of nerves in the presence of high-born ladies. When Marlow unexpectedly runs into, Kate, the woman his father wants him to marry, he’s so terrified, he can’t even look at her. So Kate decides to don the unthreatening guise of a barmaid, stooping in social status to conquer his heart.
SHAKESPEARE IN HOLLYWOOD by Ken Ludwig
- April 14 – Run extended to May 12, 2018 Thursday to Saturday
- Matinees on Sunday April 22 & April 29 & May 6
In 1934 the Warner Bros. movie studio decided to do a “class picture”: an adaptation of William Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”. Max Reinhardt was invited from Germany to direct. Into the mix of Hollywood stars such as James Cagney come the “real” players: Oberon, King of the Fairies, and his assistant, Puck. Add Jack Warner, Luella Parsons and other famous names of the times. Reality clashes with fantasy in this hilarious send-up of Hollywood in its madcap heyday.
A METRO TRADITION FOR OVER 33 YEARS!
CINDERELLA ~ Our Annual Christmas Pantomime
- December 15, 2017 – January 6, 2018
- Evenings @ 7:30 pm December 15, 16, 21, 22, 23,28, 29, 30; January 4, 5
- Matinees @ 2:00 pm December 16, 23, 26, 30; January 1, 6
Metro’s version of the classic fairy tale in the best Panto tradition. Cinderella, the Prince, and all the characters in the castle prepare for the ball while the rivalry between the Good Fairy and Demon boils over. Come cheer the good guys and jeer the bad while singing and dancing to the merriment and laughter of another classic Metro Panto.
**VIP members early sales October 1st/ General sales October 15th**
All plays subject to availability
With the support of many sponsors, the Metro Theatre produces entertaining theatre that is affordable and accessible to patrons of all ages. Plan theatre into your life and look forward to a season of memorable experiences at great value.
Your subscription comes with:
- Best available seats.
- No-cost seat exchange.
- Reduced price on bar drinks.
- 10% off on certain Metro rental shows
- Priority booking for early–bird Panto tickets
- Exclusive VIP membership
- EXTRA VOUCHER at NO CHARGE – so you can invite a friend along at no cost to one of the regular season plays.
2017/2018 Season Subscription prices:
Adults – $105.00 or Seniors and Students – $95.00
SUBSCRIBERS – Don’t forget to pick up your renewal package when you come to STRAIGHT and NARROW – on stage April 22 – May 13, 2017.
You can fill out the form at the theatre, phone it in, go on-line, or mail it in.
EASY FLEX OPTIONS
4 Flex-Pack – 4 vouchers to any play in the season
- Adults – $90.00 Or Seniors and Students – $80.00
You can upgrade to a 5- Flex-Pack
- Adults – $107.00 Or Seniors and Students -$97.00
For maximum flexibility purchase a 10 Flex -Pack – 10 vouchers in any combination to plays for this season
- Adults – $210.00 Or Seniors and Students -$190.00
CORPORATE FLEX PASS
- Corporations can purchase 25 tickets for $300.00 to be used in any combination they wish for the 2017-2018 season. All tickets can be used for the same show or spread out over all shows. The pass is totally flexible and does include the Christmas Panto. You must be a business to take advantage of this offer. Please call the box office (604) 266- 7191 or order on-line under Corporate Flex Pass.
Individual Ticket prices to Metro plays for 2017-2018 are value priced at:
- Adults – $25.00 Or Seniors & Students – $22.00
- with a special each Thursday of 2 tickets for $38;
- Preview tickets are $15 each (available 4 weeks before the performance)
Annual Holiday Pantomime Tickets
- Adults – $28.00 Or Seniors & Students – $25.00 And Children under 12 -$17.00
Call the Box Office at 604 266 7191
Purchase Online http://tickets.metrotheatre.com
Members are the backbone of our theatre, and all season ticket holders and volunteers are automatically Members. But anyone can become a VIP as well. For only $20, you get an annual VIP Membership at Metro Theatre, along with all its benefits and entitlements. Read about the VIP Membership Program, and then join us!
Consider giving someone special, the gift of entertainment and buy them season tickets. It’s an amazing season that will make you proud to ” Find Yourself at the Metro Theatre”. We hope you’ll join us to celebrate a true Vancouver success story as we embark on our 55th continuous season of great entertainment!
Metro Theatre is a non-profit society with charitable donation status that has been producing great entertainment since the early 1960’s. We continue to have a significant impact on the Vancouver theatre landscape through training some of Canada’s finest theatre professionals and showcasing awesome local and newly discovered talent.
We would like to replace our “original” marquee with something newer and brighter! With all the new residents to Vancouver, many in the Lower Mainland don’t know we’re here, so we plan to take advantage of our stellar location with new signage.
Please consider making a donation for this project on-line Donate.metrotheatre.com, by phone at the Box Office 604 266 7191, or mailing in a cheque. All donations are tax deductible. Thank you for your continued support of the Metro Theatre.
Metro Theatre is fueled by volunteers. We are always looking for friendly, outgoing people to help make our patrons’ theatre experience the best it can be. Whether you’re interested in taking tickets at the door or working backstage we would love to hear from you.
For working Front-of-House please email inquiries to email@example.com
For all other inquiries please contact TD@metrotheatre.com
BECOME A VIP CORPORATE SPONSOR
Thanks to our corporate sponsors, theatre arts are alive and well. Your generous donations bring joy and culture to our community. Whether you are interested in sponsoring one particular show or a whole Metro season, there are many good reasons why your business may wish to be involved with the Metro Theatre.
Metro is a strong member of the Lower Mainland community.
- We offer our Christmas Pantomime to at-risk children and their families (about 150 each year) as well as refugee families in the Vancouver and Burnaby areas.
- We are also involved in student internship/work experience programs to teach and train students.
- Metro hosts a large variety of educational children’s acting classes: Delta Youth Theatre, Acting Up! , Soul2Sole Dance, School graduation, and year-end programs Vancouver Montessori School, Teen and Youth theatre groups Dynamite Theatre of Delta, and Improv groups, among others.
- Additionally, we offer access to an affordable and complete theatre facility for other theatre groups that may not otherwise be able to perform for the public.
- VIP Corporate Sponsors receive priority access to Metro’s printed program and in-house advertising.
By partnering with Metro Theatre, your corporation is contributing to the continued success of a modern theatre venue with a tradition of over half a century.
For information about making a corporate donation or partnering with Metro Theatre as a sponsor, please contact Les Erskine at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A printable copy of this Season Announcement Newsletter can be downloaded here: Season 55 Announcement Newsletter
Help us Spread the Word –